WORK TOGETHER TO PREVENT FALLS
Information for staff about FALLS
Facts about falls across Yorkshire and Humber:
• 14,000 people die each year after falling
• Patient falls account for 2/5 patient safety incidents reported
• 1000 patients sustain a fracture as a result of a fall each year in hospitals
• On average there are 24 falls every week in acute hospitals
• The estimated cost of falls is £92,000 a year for Acute Trusts
• Across Britain, falls in the elderly cost £4.6 million a day
TAKE ACTION AND PREVENT FALLS
There is no doubt from the body of research evidence and government directives, NICE Guidelines (2004) that falls prevention work is very important to help prevent harm, injury and loss of independence for older people.
Useful Links for Falls Guidance
Falls Multi Factorial Risk Assessment Screening Tool
This tool is used across all services in Sheffield from Primary to Secondary Care. Screening will assess levels of risk and raise awareness of falls with the patient.
Website containing useful information including Avoiding Slips, Trips and Broken Hips and keeping fit posters.
Patient Information Leaflet
A Patient Information Leaflet developed by local staff to give to patients.
Emotional Aspects of Falling Leaflet
Useful information for patients, carers and staff
Safe Journey Cards
For patients using First Buses, the Safe Journey card can be printed off and used within the community. It advises the driver to be aware and not set off before the passenger is seated.
Website describing the assistive technology available from the local authority which may be useful for some patients in the management of falls. The emergency call systems can build a patient’s confidence and assist a person in living as independently as possible in the community.
• How To Prevent Falls
• What To Do If Someone Falls
• Assess Your Environment
• Dementia And Falls
This page was last updated on 12th November 2012